Monday, August 13, 2012

BostonRy's Sweet Hot Pickles

Growing up in the Midwest, my first introduction to sweet hot pickles was via Tony Packo's, a Hungarian hot dog joint in Toledo.  Tony Packo's Sweet Hot Pickles and Peppers are available in grocery stores around the country but sadly have not made their way to Boston.  Therefore, to satiate my sweet hot pickle cravings when my stash inevitably runs out, I decided to create my own recipe.  If you are familiar with Tony Packo's version let me warn you that this recipe packs more heat.

ingredients: 
6 lbs pickling cucumbers (sliced to about 1/4 inch)
2 large sweet onions (sliced)
1 cup of kosher salt* (I pulse this in the food processor to make it easier to dissolve)
1 gallon water
6 cups white vinegar
3 cups cider vinegar
7 cups sugar
3 TBS regular mustard seed
1 TBS hot mustard seed
8 whole cloves
1 tsp turmeric
5 TBS garlic (roughly chopped)
8 hungarian wax peppers (sliced into rings)
10 cherry peppers (sliced into rings)
pickle crisp (optional, hard to find in Metro areas)


*Really one should use Pickling Salt for this recipe but apparently very few people in the greater Boston area pickle anything because Pickling Salt has eluded me for years. Even stores that carry mason jars don't seem to have it, which I find a bit odd.  This leads me to believe they carry mason jars for jam lovers and/or hipsters (Yes, I realize I take pictures with Hipstamatic. What can I say; I like lomo, medium format photography)...anyway, back to the salt. The main concern with substitutes for Pickling Salt is that you want to use a salt that does not contain additives. Regular table salt should NOT be used for pickling as it often contains iodine and anti-caking agents amongst other additives that may discolor your food and possibly change the flavor. I've made this mistake before and it's not pretty, or tasty.

supplies: 
mason jars, lids, and rings (I used wide mouth pint jars)
1-2 large pots (better with two but you can make it work with one)
canning utensil set


preparation: 
Clean and slice the cucumbers. Slice the onions into rings. Place the cucumbers and onions in a large non-reactive bowl or pot. Add the salt and water and mix. Let stand for about 2 hours. 


Drain the cucumbers and onions in a colander and rinse with cold water for about 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.  

Add the vinegars, sugar, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, garlic, and peppers to a large non-reactive pot over medium heat. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil. Add cucumbers and onions and mix.  Return to a boil. Once boil is reached remove from heat.  


Add the pickle mixture to the already sterilized jars making sure the liquid is approximately 1/2 inch from the top of the jar. If you choose to use pickle crisp, add 1/8 tsp to each pint jar. Slide the plastic, sterilized bubble remover (or a similar implement like a small spatula) around the sides of the jar to make sure there are no trapped air bubbles.  Secure the sterilized lid and tighten the ring just to the point of resistance.


Place the jars in the hot water bath so they are covered by at least 1 inch of boiling water. Process for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water bath with tongs and let them cool. As the jars cool a vacuum will occur and the lid will make a popping sound.  Once the lids have popped tighten the rings.  Store in a cool dry place.  Wait 2 weeks before using to let the pickles reach a more robust and balanced flavor.


yield: 
11 pints

notes about canning:
Canning may seem overwhelming at first but it's really not all that complicated. The most important part is to make sure that your equipment is sterilized. For more information on canning visit: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_home.html 


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Question: You said that these are hotter than Tony Packo's - do you think if I omit the "hot" mustard seed and the cherry peppers that would back down the heat a little??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interest. Heat is a tricky thing since everyone has different tolerances. The Hungarian wax peppers are actually generating more heat than the cherry peppers, so I would decrease the amount of Hungarian wax peppers the most. I haven't tested this but to create a heat more along the lines of Tony Packo's Sweet Hots I would use 4 Hungarian wax peppers, 6 cherry peppers, and 4 TBS regular mustard seed instead of 3 TBS regular and 1 TBS hot. All other ingredients should stay the same. If you give this a shot let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure about seven cups sugar?! Too late for me, I am mid recipe! Thanks for sharing this. I was born on the East side of Toledo in Tony Packo country. In fact, my dad worked there as a bartender "back in the day". I still live in the 419 area and am so happy to see that people far and wide know about our little local gem of a neighborhood Hungarian bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmm! Awesome recipe! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe, Janet! I see your note about the sugar quantity. It seems like a lot but it really is needed to balance the spiciness. Thanks for giving it a try and I'm glad the recipe passed muster in Tony Packo country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recipe is the bomb. I've used it now three seasons. Pickling is a family event for us. It's so good, my granddaughter asks for them first thing in the morning. No she's not pregnant. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou so much for the recipe. I live in NY now, but grew up in Toledo. Miss these guys, can't wait to try them once they have had some time to cure. Our garden has been pumping these last weeks, so variety of recipes has been well appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m curious if there would be a way to do these as refrigerator pickles? I’m not a canner and want to do only a small batch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do I find hot mustard seeds? Are they the black mustard seeds? Looked on Amazon to no avail....

    ReplyDelete
  10. M30, I've been doing these as refrigerator pickles (actually all of my pickles are refrigerator pickles). I've kept them in the refrigerator for up to a year and they're still good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make fermented pickles. I recently tried putting freshly fermented pickles into some leftover/retained Tony Packo Pickles and Pepper juice. After 3 days in the fridge they tasted great. So decided to try to reproduce Tony's recipe and try that. Thanks for the recipe - I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are these pickles crisp after being placed in the boiling spices, brought back to a boil, & then placed in the water bath for canning?

    ReplyDelete